View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 03:12 PM   #64
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecto Jedi View Post
Well, Battletoads & Double Dragon is first and foremost a Battletoads game. It's got all the series trademarks and it plays like the original through and through.

Have you checked out Super Double Dragon? It looks and sounds amazing:
I concur that Battletoads & DD is certainly more Toads than DD.

Super Double Dragon was one of my top priority games to find after I bought my first SNES a few years back. Although I do like the game and had fun using the block button to put my enemies into an arm hold and set them up for devastating attacks, I found the game very disappointing overall.

The first big problem is how slow the game seems to run. Maybe it's the inferiority of the SNES's processor compared to the Genesis, or maybe it's just the culprit of lazy programming, but there are times when the game seems to crawl. Furthermore, street thugs require many hits to finally K.O. Even if you unload on them with your most powerful attacks, you'll find yourself waiting on them to get back up off the ground 2 or 3 times. These two factors together really slow down the pace of what should be a frantic beat 'em up romp.

I could be wrong, but I think the game doesn't really offer any platforming elements at all, which kinda broke precedent of the gameplay seen in DD 1-3 for the NES. DD never really did platforming especially well (that's where most players probably lost most of their lives in a hurry) but it did vary the gameplay a bit. I remember Super DD being exclusively side scrolling beat em up (with some occasional step climbing... woohoo), and perhaps some levels that required carefully timed jumps could have been a refreshing break from the slow paced combat.

Presentation wise, you can tell the development team either got lazy or (more likely) pressed for time to rush the game out prematurely to meet a release date. There really aren't any special bells n' whistles, no elaborate intro, no cutscenes, and only a bare bones ending. That's very disappointing considering the history of the franchise, and it's especially painful to see what the design team actually planned to do.

Double Dragon Dojo has an insightful look into what this game could have and definitely should have been:
http://doubledragon.kontek.net/featu...truestory.html

I still recommend the game for hardcore Dragon fans, since it's probably the last true DD game that's decent until DD Advance & Neon came along. The aforementioned DDDojo does offer a more position review of the game than I can give it, however.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!

Last edited by oldmanwinters; 04-27-2013 at 03:20 PM.
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote