View Single Post
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #87
Chris
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNines View Post
I feel you on that. However the flashback designations aren't hard dates, so you can round them without stretching things.

"Fugitoid" placement on either side of Blood Brothers is only like a 3 days difference anyways. The bulk of it takes place within like 1 hour, then the last scene is only the very next day.
If I remember right, using the dates in Fugitoid (and those in Change is Constant) it works out that Chet joined Stockgen in the same month as April. Little hard to believe but there's nothing to say it didn't happen that way. So Fugitoid has to take place in January or you end up with Chet joining Stockgen after April.

Now this is comics and stuff like that happens but if the dates fit in January then lets go with that.

No real issue. I'd originally used the narrative gap and the "2 weeks" thing to put the annual and Blood Brothers in February since January was looking a little crowded. But pretty much everything up to 13/14 is early January, so the annual, Blood Brothers and Fugitoid could just as easily take place in late Jan.

Quote:
Hm. This troubles me.

I know Bobby's the editor, but he even admitted that he didn't quite remember where "April" was supposed to take place. And since he's surely more mentally invested in City Fall and the upcoming villain micro's right now, I'm more inclined to side with his initial thinking in his editor's note on the inside cover.
I know what you mean. My gut says to go with his editorial notes from when he was working on the issue. Having looked through the issue again tonight it does work either way. Leave this one up to personal preference and whichever editors note you choose to go with I guess!

Quote:
No one will argue that, but I've done multiple series readthroughs in that original order (April, Casey, 13/14, 15/16) and it flows just fine with "April" coming first. And like Chris said, it makes it feel more "true to life" when related events have other stuff going on in between them.

Plus like I said, #15 states that Slash has been free for 2 weeks. The Casey issue and "Sins of the Father" take place over the course of one night, no more than 2 hours time. They fit right in there easy peasy.
The more I think about it, the more I think there's a "best reading order" (where Casey leads into Sins of the Fathers, April leads into Blood Brothers and Fugitoid leads into Krang War) which from the latest comments on the IDW boards seems to be the "official" order, and the originally intended chronological order (April before Casey, Fugitoid in release order between 14/15, etc).

Not sure which approach I'm going to go with to be honest. The new official order doesn't really create any problems as a chronological order, but the thematic groupings does detract a little from the sense of this being a living world for me. I was planning on re-reading everything when Krang War and Secret History were finished, so I'll probably decide then.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote