View Single Post
Old 04-29-2018, 02:19 PM   #57
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWolfLeonardo View Post
I've seen fans of the show of all ages. From kids who were introduced to tmnt by the Nick series and saw the 80s show online to 40+ year old adults who only have vague yet fond memories of it.

I don't think its fans will die out anytime soon due to the aftermath of turtlemania still being felt today and the easy ways to access the show online (not anymore on Youtube, but at one point, I remember certain season 3 episodes having millions of views). I'm pretty sure that Superfriends also has a sizable number of fans today.
Yeah but nobody's really calling the JLA "Super Friends" anymore, you know?

I'm sure if you look hard enough, you'll find some guy who thinks "Fred and Barney meet the Thing" to be the greatest Marvel cartoon of all time, it's just not typical. It's really just a question of time and momentary popularity.

As far as I can tell, most fans of the Fred Wolf cartoon are still the 33-40 year olds who grew up with it. Anyone else seem to be a minority consisting of their kids and people randomly deciding to watch it. That's not really the weird part, it's that new fans brought in by other stuff don't seem as vocal.

Either the TMNT fanbase mostly consists quiet people who aren't active on forums, or it really is mostly of middle aged men talking about how awesome their childhood fad was. It's really odd that most haven't moved on to Mirage or IDW, like how kids start by watching Spider-Man cartoons but move onto Spider-Man comics if they're still fans when they're older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
The thing is the original cartoon cemented itself in pop culture like everything elses "first" iteration that overshadows everything else:

Pokemon: The original 151 pokemon or Kanto...despite there now being 7 generations of the games and anime

Batman: The 1960's Batman Adam West show and then Batman:TAS, despite both being old as hell now they overshadow everything else.

Power Rangers: The first series in the U.S.

Dragonball: Dragonball and DBZ...Super or future series will never make the same impact as Toriyama's run to the end of the manga

Star Wars: The orginal Star Wars trilogy. Look at the hate the prequels or new movies get.

Star Trek: The original series with Kirk/Spock/MCcoy and to a lesser extent The Next generation overshadow everything else

I mean this is just how it is. Any popular long lasting franchise that goes on for generations, whatever the first or biggest iteration was will overshadow everything else. I don't like it either but that's just how it is. For TMNT, the original cartoon just has more public eye than the Mirage comics and then the next 3 cartoons.
Except that's not really true either. Adam West Batman is largely regarded as a joke, Batman TAS can't really be seen as the "first" in any capicity and Dragon Ball Super just ended this year.

And if being "the first" grants something some magic pop culture status, how come it's not true for the Batman film serials? Or the original Wizard of Oz movie? Or the Nicholas Hammond Spider-Man movie? There's probably a lot of other examples out there.
Hahahaha!

Last edited by neatoman; 04-29-2018 at 02:28 PM.
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote