View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 03:34 PM   #15
neatoman
Emperor

Well... The Mirage Studios comics finally got a series of reprints that were easy to get a hold of when IDW got the comics license, and the IDW series itself is arguably one of the best things to come out of the franchise. So there is that.

As for anything else, that's a bit weirder. Like I don't hate the (I might as well add this word; first) Nickelodeon cartoon by any means, I just wouldn't care if I never got to watch it again, it's just not that impressive or memorable. They're about to launch another show less than a year after it ended, and it's probably going to have roughly the same quality and serve the same purpose, after that there's probably going to be yet another one the year after that ends. So who really cares when when they just have a planned reboot cycle and really only want to sell toys? The video games were pretty lame under Activision. Then there's the "Bayturtles", like what the hell?

No seriously, what the hell was up with the Platinum Dunes productions? The first one was a typical bad summer movie, made worse slapdash reshoots. The second one just pissed me off, like they intentionally made it awful the second time, even tried to top the awfulness. Why would you do that?

Anyway, I don't think it was necessarily a mistake to sell TMNT, it had already become a corporate cashcow by the point he sold it. All Laird really did before was to prevent the Fred Wolf cartoon from being more influential, which isn't really a bad thing, it at least made Fred Wolf nostalgia a less useful tool than what Viacom thought it would be. Had a movie like OotS been made around 2000-2007, when the target audience would been about 18-25, it might have been successful. Instead it was made when they were in their mid-30s, too late for most of them to still care, and anyone who grew up on anything but the Fred Wolf cartoon won't give a **** about Bebop and Rocksteady at all. So Viacom will probably learn that the franchise needs quality rather than rely on what they believe to be recognisable elements.

And of course it would only be a matter of time for a corporation to take full control anyway, might as well happen on somewhat respectful terms.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote