View Single Post
Old 09-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #12
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMJ View Post
I've got to say that at least the turtle variants were born of use on the show (or maybe the other way around), but either way running gags like "Mikey Turflytle" were a great way to do the variants.

I remember we talked about that here for a while. This line just begged for Build-A-Figures. I think it could have really blown up had they take it even a degree or two more seriously.

But then after a while, every single release was a rotocast toy. It was incredibly disappointing, especially given how good the animated content the line was born from was.
I agree the themed turtle variants of the basic assortments like ‘Mikey Turflytle’ were great alongside the villains of that basic assortment like Baxter Stockman. Unfortunately, like many on here are saying, so many of the toys like Baxter Stockman resembled modern fast food toys.

It is quite sad that there were Mutations Mix and Match figures, but not any Build-A-Figures for the basic assortments. Some of the Mutations Mix and Match figures (like Metalhead) were even better than the actual basic assortment figures. Still, the best toy line for TMNT toy fans will always be the original from 1988. Playmates seems to have difficulty changing with the times. Adult collectors are buying their children any Hasbro Marvel Legends figures they see that they want in this day and age. At the same time, you would never know that by looking at the top selling Christmas toys of the past 10 years. Action figure companies are not fairing well in this time like they did towards the very end of the last century.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote