View Single Post
Old 07-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #46
dl316bh
Stone Warrior

Is it just me, or does that thumbnail image in the first video about what's coming for the TMNT make everyone look like they're doing a Charlies Angels homage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
When it comes to IDW getting the Sonic license, I'm less interested in any crossover than I am in the direction of the Sonic comic itself.

I've never really read Archie's Sonic comics, but I know the general idea is that it was essentially a tie-in to those early Sonic cartoons that ended up running long after they were cancelled. As such, it was full of characters and weird concepts (like some "Planet of the Apes"/"Terminator"-fusion type setting) that have nothing to with the actual games, just a weird remnant of early marketing.

So are IDW going to bother using these things to please Archie Sonic's fanbase, or stick to what the games have established to give it a broader appeal? Maybe something in between?
I'm guessing in between, something similar to what was done with the Turtles. Stick to the Sega Sonic stuff and world, but slowly integrate things from across the different media as it goes on. I'll be surprised if the characters used by Archie that Sega owns don't show up at some point, even if it's as some kind of side team in the world.

Quote:
Isn't IDW the king of licensed comics nowadays? It seems like almost any comic based on an existing cartoon/movie/videogame franchise is picked up by IDW now.
It's between IDW and Dark Horse. Prior to recent years, I'd have said that Dark Horse were the king. They've had the rights to Aliens, Predator and AVP for about as long as either have been in comic books. They had Robocop, Terminator and Army of Darkness for long stretches of time. The Star Wars license stuck with them for decades before the Disney acquisition. Conan's another of their mainstays. Buffy's been with them for a long time, including all the spin-offs there. Avatar: The Last Airbender hit comics through them.

It's only in the last ten years or so that IDW's started acquiring licenses and putting them to good use.