View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:59 AM   #50
Peter Palmer
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexiun View Post
Exactly, i loved the 'return to new york' 'the river' and the northhampton ones because they felt story based and not random "oh here's another random half naked woman from outer space just coincidentally teleporting to Earth to screw your day up and is forgotten the next chapter".

The actual story chapters with Shredder, Bloodsucker and Northhampton feel amazing and wish the whole Mirage comics were like that without silly side-characters and forgetable stories...
I suggested the reading order I did for just this reason...get the meat of the story right off the bat to give you a full, unfiltered taste of classic Mirage TMNT. A second pass through volume 1 would have picked up the strong stories throughout. Outside of that main reading list (I could remove 8 and 9 from my initial list), most of the volume could be considered an anthology series. The River, Souls Winter, Sons of the Silent Age, Masks, and Hall of Lost Legends are among my favorite stories. I'm also partial to Donatello's 1-shot which serves as a fantastic tribute to Jack Kirby, a big inspiration to Eastman & Laird. Most of these don't add to the main story, though they do enrich the TMNT tapestry.

I think we all wish that Eastman and Laird could have helmed the whole volume. Of course, if they did that, the they'd have to steal focus from running the juggernaut that was the TMNT in the late 80's/early 90's. Who knows how that would have changed things.

Like many said, Volume 1 is a mixed bag. It's best not to label it as a whole, rather break it out into individual stories.