View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 05:42 AM   #24
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Getting a Gameboy wasn't transformative or anything... but I do remember getting the "light" setup for it that slipped over it with the magnifier and all, staying up late playing "CastleVania Adventure" in the dark. Later on, Zelda: Link's Awakening. I don't think I ever played any other games on it beyond CastleVania Adventure II and a little Metroid II before giving up.
To me it was. Being able to play games on the go was cutting edge experience for me back in the 90s. Compared to the Game Gear and Tiger Electronic games, the Game Boy was God.

The only reason why I didn't make more of a use of the Game Boy's portability was because I wasn't allowed to bring it to school. Understandable. My parents and my brother didn't want me to damage it, lose it or get it stolen. That being said, I was able to take it on trips abroad with my family.

Nowadays with smartphones, tablets, the 3DS, the Vita, the Switch, etc. ofc a Game Boy is gonna look extremely obsolete, but back then there really wasn't anything better than it. Every other company that tried to compete with Nintendo in the handheld department failed miserably. The only company not named Nintendo that has been able to make a successful portable was Sony. The PSP sold pretty respectable numbers, even if the original DS sold way better than it.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote