View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 09:07 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

What makes you nostalgic the most nowadays?

"Retro" stuff, which appeals to nostalgia, has been a big thing in the entertainment industry in the current decade. More franchises than ever have been rebooted and remade in the last 5-10 years. Clearly, everyone wants to see their favourite childhood franchises being brought back to life nowadays.

The thing is, it's getting harder to get nostalgic anymore. I mean, with how big the internet is nowadays, you can easily find older movies, cartoons, anime, etc. on either DVD/Blu Ray or on streaming websites such as youtube(before they get taken down). I mean, I miss watching the older TMNT cartoons as a kid, considering my standards were much lower back in the day and the anticipation for a new episode was way more thrilling than it is nowadays. Same for video games. When you're a kid, you get, what, 3 video games per year max? One or two for Christmas, your birthday, and if you happen to have an older sibling who already has an allowance or part time job and still lives with you, he might also buy a few games for himself throughout the year. As an adult, you can just buy a game or several per month, considering we live in an era where online gaming platforms have special sales where they give big discounts to some games. I mean, I bought Deus EX Human Revolution on Steam for about 1,99 euro. Ridiculous when you think about it. And that game had not come out that long of a time ago when I bought it for such an absurdly low price . I mean, holy hell, imagine if you had been able to buy Ocarina of Time, Final Fantasy VII or GTA San Andreas some months after they came out for a couple of bucks only?

So yeah, as far as Turtle stuff go, at best I feel a bit nostalgic for the 2k3 series since that series seems to have been lost in the shuffle and the least remembered of the Turtle cartoons. Understandable since FW was the biggest one and the nick series is still on or was still on until very recently, plus there's the Bay movies tied into it. But no one seems to remember the 2k3 series. In fact, I've met way more people who've never heard of it than ones who do. But still... I could just go on youtube and re-watch that series again.

I think nostalgia nowadays works better for edible products. Such as food items and drinks that used to be easily found in stores or at the supermarket. You can't just download or stream those. I also have nostalgia for older stores that closed down... like toy shops. Back when I was a kid already in the late 90s, neighbourhood toy shops were closing in droves and kids like me had to buy them at the Toys 'R' Us at the nearest mall. also get nostalgic whenever I remember video rental stores. Man weren't those places magical? I'd go to my local one almost every Saturday. My parents would rent a movie and I'd rent an animated movie or a VHS containing several cartoon episodes.

Oh and remember arcades? Very occasionally I'll see one, but it's usually a crappy obscure football game or a one of those Sega arcade racing games such as Scud Racer or Sega Rally. Sega used to rule the arcades, man.

I also have lots of fond memories of my city's carnival. It's closed down around 2002-2003. It was a sad day because I was never going to ride those roller coasters and other rides that allowed only people aged 15 and above.

What about you, what makes you nostalgic nowadays?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote