View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #59
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Mmm, I'd definitely rather them just do trades up front. This is not a popular series by any means (unfortunately)
Their selling value on eBay these days might beg the differ. But who knows on the actual shelves, month in, month out... though there is whole generations of fans curious and into Image TMNT after the fact, posthumously. And IDW behind them, there is an actual push.

As a reader, I don't see the worry. This is like if a "Agents of Wakanda" TV show was announced tomorrow and we have a guaranteed seasons 1-4 and a guaranteed ending to it, no matter the ratings anywhere over the course of it, with guaranteed 4K Blu-ray box sets to it after the fact. What's wrong with that?

About the whole thing, though, if one were to ask me how I feel about it personally? It's a mixed bag. You can imagine my situation. People and some articles are saying "Well, now Image TMNT is getting a PROPER conclusion!" and they're not wrong. But... I spent about 3, 4 years of my free time making a carefully calculated "proper" conclusion with a large group of others who all poured months and years of their time into it, wholly above board with Frank and Gary, and with their input, notes and even artwork. Ya know? I feel like we did a "proper" conclusion, within the boundaries of what we could do, and maybe even some above. We have a cover pencilled by Fosco and inked by Eastman, done in good faith. When the sale to Viacom/Nick happened, Kevin Eastman and I went all over the place, shopping this Image conclusion to Boom! and Dark Horse, when Erik Larsen himself was fully willing and ready to print and publish it at Image. I did conference calls with Nickelodeon's publishing ladies to push this, sweating and pushing this over the phone. It was a, "This is interesting that you would want to continue this old thing, but... we'll let you know." And this was the Wild West! After the Viacom sale but before the IDW deal, but not long before. But still I hounded the Nick execs. It was only when all avenues were exhausted (and keep in mind, up until this point this was a pitch that was 100% written by Carlson and drawn by Fosco, all the way, I had no stake in this beyond just brokering the deal) that I went, "Well crud, let's just f***ing go ahead and do this, because no one else is." And we did, and I'm very proud of it.

That said, none of that is Gary or Frank's problem. They're just guys who got the rug pulled out from under them back in 1999 that were on board the various pitches I was pushing to where it seemed like they could be pushed to realize a conclusion. And they're both amazing guys. I've sat in Fosco's living room and he's made me the most amazing pasta, and been taken by him to the most amazing pizza in Chicago. Let's give them the rug back. Gently. AND it's in color? You should see some of my letters in the lettercol of like... every issue of Vol. 3 berating this, or being 500% fanboy. Or don't, actually. Yeesh! 16, 17 year-old me is an even bigger a**hole than 36 year-old me!

Very stoked this is happening.

Last edited by Andrew NDB; 02-21-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote