View Single Post
Old 03-17-2018, 02:56 PM   #74
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
What has left me scratching my head is why they haven't added any extras for Mask of the Phantasm which is seen by the fans as probably the best Batman movie ever. It's extremely odd considering Warner are prepping to release the animated series on blu-ray later this year.
It's not unusual for Warner Archives. They really don't seem to create special features and the releases that do have bonus material simply ported them over from older DVD versions.* The special features boom of the early 2000s is long gone. Major studios are no longer interested in producing a lot of it. Even the bonus material for new films are a joke. You actually see stickers that advertise "1 hour of special features" as if that's a big deal. I remember when the same stickers said 6 to 8 hours.

Licensed companies like Criterion, Shout Factory, Arrow, and Kino Lorber are keeping the dream alive**, but then again, I remember when Anchor Bay produced DVDs rich with bonus content. All it takes is for a company like Starz to come in and stale things up.***

*One could argue the remastered, 3-hour TV cut of Superman: The Movie is a new "special feature." I surprised WAC did that. Perhaps it could be a test run for other such releases with alternate cuts?

**In the US, at least.

***Shout's releases have had some positive effect with studios. Warner Bros., Universal, and Disney (via Disney Movie Club) have put more effort into releasing their catalog titles and in many cases, are using the original poster art instead of that hokey crap you usually see on today's home video releases. Unfortunately, no new special features.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote