View Single Post
Old 04-21-2017, 08:31 AM   #152
Punker
Mouser

I think that it will be tough to make anything that surpasses the original movie until the movie industry gets out of their CGI obsession phase. I probably sound like a cranky old person, but the insane amounts of CGI is what ruins this new movie series for me.

I think that the Turtles look so much better in costumes rather than giant computer animated monsters. I also think that the fight scenes look much more realistic in the original movies. I would much rather see real martial artists fighting each other instead of these crazy CGI filled battles where I can't even tell what's happening half of the time.

If they ever wanted to make something that's close to surpassing the original movie, they would also have to go back to better story and character development. One of my biggest complaints when I saw the 2014 movie was that it felt like they sacrificed the nice character moments for extra long CGI battles. Think about some of the scenes from the original movie:
  • The moment with Splinter and Raphael, after Raph comes back from his encounter with Casey Jones.
  • Raph and Leo's argument, followed up by their touching moment after Raph wakes back up.
  • Just about every scene at the farmhouse.
  • The Turtles having the vision of Splinter over the fire while meditating.

Those are just some of the great character moments that are totally missing from the new movies. The story in general just feels more personal too: Oroku Saki killed Splinter's master 15 years ago, Oroku Saki has built the Foot Clan into a powerful empire as the Shredder, the Turtles are finally a threat to his empire, the Foot capture Splinter and burn down April's apartment, the Turtles regroup after finding themselves at the farmhouse, and it all leads to an epic showdown on the rooftop where Splinter finally gets his revenge on Oroku Saki. It's certainly much better than just the generic story about evil guys who want to take over the city by spreading poisonous gas.

Part of it is perspective too though...for me, the original movie will never be surpassed, but part of the reason is because it's the film that I grew up on. I loved it as a kid, I still love it today, and it will always hold a special place in my heart. Kids who are growing up today might say the same thing about the 2014 movie in years to come, as weird as that sounds.
Punker is offline   Reply With Quote