View Single Post
Old 04-19-2019, 09:44 PM   #513
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
Do people constantly accuse you of being miserable when you're not? I get that a lot.

I'm generally in a pretty great mood; I just have a life with a lot less disappointment than the average bear on account of I generally keep my expectations low. But for some reason people think that makes you miserable.

It doesn't, it's rather the opposite: protecting oneself from disappointment by way of applying a rudimentary understanding of statistics. That's not "misery", it's Math. You can be a cynic and still be generally upbeat; it just means you can smell bullsh*t from a mile away and don't fall for much.

I'unno, just curious if people come at you the way they sometimes come at me. I generally have a good time, and enjoy most things in life, but those other folks sure whine a lot about various things not living up to expectations, whereas I generally just go "Eh". I can only tell 'em to lower those expectations so many times, y'know? "I just thought it would be better." "Well who the hell gave you that idea, you silly goose?"

You and me should totally hit up a Hooters one day. The music will be too loud and the wings barely above-average. And y'know... that's Okay.
I'm constantly described as the most cheerful pessimist people know. Friends, family, coworkers.... they just don't know how to make those two things coexist: I always firmly believe the worst will happen, yet I'm in a pretty good mood and fun to be around.

Two kinds of people: optimists and realists.

If we were able to hang out, that'd be fvcking awesome. But there's a lotta miles between Jersey and Texas. Do they have rum at Hooters? I still haven't found a beer to my taste.