View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 AM   #2
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I've typically criticized the concept of Hamato Yoshi directly mutating into Splinter as an added complication, that it's just the first step towards turning the Ooze into a catch all plot device. Not to mention how David Wise, in all his infinite hackiness, couldn't present it in a sensical way. While I still stick to that, I just realized there's another reason it sucks, it kills the point of Splinter being a mutant in the first place.

See here's the deal, Splinter is a mutant so he would be able to exact revenge, something he wouldn't be able to do as a normal rat. Of course, if Hamato Yoshi just lives, what the point of mutating or taking revenge? He already fled the country and the mutation didn't add anything in case he wanted revenge. There's the argument that it explains how he has the knowledge to teach but, again, why mutate him at all then? To make us sympathise with him? The versions that depict him as a mutated Yoshi just has him being chill about it, probably to give him a reason to stay that way when they also depict a cure. Not to mention how any other drama just seems to be unrelated to the mutation itself. Point is, all you get with mutant Yoshi is a theme without payoff.

Of course, there's the reincarnation. When it comes to reincarnation origin you get to keep the reason for revenge, as well as the enabling of revenge. It also solves the nitpicks the Mutant Yoshi advocates base their entire arguments on, without tearing new holes in the story.

Does anyone else agree?
I'm OK with the reincarnation thing. It makes for a lot of possibilities.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote