View Single Post
Old 03-26-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
Powder
So tired of this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoErth View Post
For gods sake, what is wrong with the Turtles being able to be who they are and create great new stories for them....

It's unfortunate that TMNT gets saddled with the constant concern (or expected to take concern) for a "new audience." What else even does this. Does the WWF shake things up by, I dunno, turning into a wrestling talent show to get "a new audience"? If kids can't love the TMNT for who they are, then maybe it isn't their thing and they can select from tons of other properties to care about. And let the existing fans who know and love them keep knowing them, not just having to keep revising all the old stuff only.
Well, they've been changing who the turtle are since the very first time they were "adapted" from comics, to be fair. The OT turtles are not the Mirage turtles, after all. The precedent was set early, unfortunately. While we have so many variations now, really, they're mostly caricatures of the Fred Wolf standard anyway.

I'd say that's pretty much how it goes with most properties, dude. Like, for real. I'm no wrestling fan, but I am well aware that the field is riddled with gimmicks, celebrities, & these days, animated features that introduce unscrupulous muscle men as bumbling would-be heroes alongside children's cartoon characters. You've got genderbends at Marvel, we had that "extreme" phase in the 90's, things like Looney Tunes & Muppets becoming sitcoms, it's par the course. If there is anything unique about that process in how TMNT is approached, it could be due to how they are products of their time. The "teenage" side of them has to be updated to align more with the then-modern youth, & the many pop culture references they spew for comedic effect must also match up. Naturally, as fans get older, they'll relate less to it. I dunno.

I'm convinced that none of you have ever experienced joy
Powder is offline   Reply With Quote