View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 10:36 AM   #123
WebLurker
Hench Mutant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZariusTwo View Post
Perhaps, but bear in mind the last alternate reality to have the Parkers with children (Spider-Girl) was supposedly set fifteen years in the future, although as the series continued they scaled that back and treated it like an "alternative present" (I've seen examples of that where the year was once 2017, and then a later issue of Spider-Girl had the date being 1996)
Fair enough, although since comic books like this usually have a sliding timescale or a floating timeline, I tend to take all exact years with a grain of salt.

Quote:
That is a good question, and your suspicions may be right after all. It also begs the question whether or not Marvel's "everything happened 13 years ago" excuse for their sliding time scale is accurate for this reality too. In which case Peter would have only spent two years as Spidey single or dating Gwen and Felicia before moving on to MJ.
I guess that depends on how close they want to keep things to the originals.

Quote:
I had a possible theory during the original RYV series that Peter and MJ had married very early.
Hadn't they always married pretty early? Somewhere, I remember reading that they were in their very early twenties when tying the knot (although their Ultimate counterparts may have one-upped them by essentially eloping at eighteen).

Quote:
In 616, MJ turned Peter's first proposal and moved away for a few months before coming back and ultimately accepted the second proposal, but what if the RYV MJ accepted Peter's first proposal way back in the Wolfman run? I don't think anyone's done that before.
Maybe, although the original RYV did seem to imply that the pre-marriage timeline was the same. If so, that could be the case here, too, if the series is being written from the assumption that the first RYV series was this timeline altered by Secret Wars.

Quote:
Marvel have been pushing MJ pretty heavily in a range of mediums lately as someone close to Peter and having a superhero role (Unlimited, the current season of the USM cartoon, and another game I'm forgetting the name of where she's Iron Spider).
Is the latter Avengers Academy? I can't play it but I've seen clips that would support the idea (

Quote:
RYV sold well the first time, and Marvel are a business. Regardless of where they think the relationship should be in the main canon, they're not going to sit on easy money like that.
True enough, I'm pretty sure the only reason RYV is getting its own series is because of the sales the original made.

Quote:
Nobody just does what they want at this company either, everything goes through channels and approved before things go through. For all the s*it thrown in Quesada and Alonzo's face, they're the one who have final say on approving things like this. Same with the OMD references. Somebody high up at Marvel is clearly mellowing.
Yeah, when making the original comment, I wasn't suggesting that employees could do what they wanted without any oversight. As pointed out by a few different people, Dan Slott has said that the company's managers have had a policy that re-marrying Peter and MJ is not allowed in the main comics, and when he wanted to do such a story for Secret Wars, he had to get permission to do it.

I guess I'm not sure if the managers really want it coming back as part of the "real "character. As I understand it, while side stories and other iterations are utilizing the relationship, the main comics are still working to wedge the characters apart even further.

Quote:
2017 is the marriage's 30th anniversary (and OMD's tenth), it makes sense to publish something and keep it going throughout most of that year, but obviously Marvel don't want to interrupt Dan Slott's ongoing storylines either, so this is the compromise for now.
Would we even want the 616 comics to do anything with the marriage anniversary? Whatever other parts of the franchise may do, that series, whenever it addressed it in some fashion, seems to always try and validate OMD as being the right decision or to construct more barriers to prevent the couple from reconciling.

So, if they do anything on 616's end, I'm predicting that it'll just be to get money out of us and will wind up yanking our collective chains. They've been dropping hints at a reconciliation for years and then pulling the rug under us after we swallowed it. I don't see any reason for them to change this pattern of behavior.

Would Marvel worry about interrupting Slott's run, since Secret Wars did just that? I'm not sure if making RYV is a compromise, since I think they're only trying to provide a product that they know will sell.
WebLurker is offline   Reply With Quote