View Single Post
Old 12-29-2004, 10:59 PM   #28
ThirdMarioBro
Tea Time!

In other news, the sky is blue, water is wet and the sun is hot.

The Wall Street Journal published an article today that covers the possibility of consolidation in the video game industry. Of course, the industry has been in a state of consolidation for some time now, especially in terms of larger publishers like Electronic Arts gobbling up smaller development outfits.

The article specifically mentions that EA is positioned to make another large acquisition or two in the near future. Not exactly the boldest prediction since EA has been on a veritable corporate feeding frenzy as of late. Sony and Microsoft were also listed as possibilities to get in on the action, buying up smaller companies.

Other publishers mentioned in the article as either possible targets or possible buyers include Activision, THQ, Midway, Eidos, Namco and Capcom. Other targets might include the gaming divisions of companies whose primary focus lies in another field like Viacom Inc., Walt Disney Co., DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. and Time Warner Inc.

source: The Wall Street Journal

Comm'on Nintendo, just buy Namco before it's too late. Those bastards at EA would just have them produce the next James Bond title. Shoot me. Microsoft scares me though......they like bigger targets, and they're going to be in trouble next generation without Halo at launch. They really scare me. EA has proven that if you're big enough, you can take over anyone.

*shudder of fear*

Now E3 just scares me.