View Single Post
Old 04-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #18
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Palmer View Post
I don't know if that's really fair. When the TMNT Arcade game was released, it was a MASSIVE hit by arcade standards. At the time, the beat-em-up genre was still pretty new and TMNT was pretty well done by comparison. Then Turtles in Time was released and many feel that it improved upon the first arcade game. Both were critical successes and are often in the conversation for the best games of the genre. I'm not sure calling them "cheap clones" is really fair.
Turtles in Time was basically TMNT: The Arcade Game 1.5. It didn't really add anything to the play mechanics or... much of anything, really, as we normally think of happens in sequels (beyond oddities like... the Mega Man games). The arcade game could have just gone on for another 6 levels or whatever into the Turtles in Time maps and no one would even know the difference.

Quote:
Perhaps you don't like the games or maybe even the genre (which is fine), but they were certainly successful and high-quality upon their releases by any realistic metric.
The arcade game and Turtles in Time were neat when I was like 6. Even then, though, I didn't think I was playing some new and innovative experience in Manhattan Project or Hyperstone Heist afterward... just new coats of paint on the same damn thing, over and over again.

Quote:
I think if that success and quality could be replicated today, the fans would be in for a real treat.
Nah. In a post-Grand Theft Auto, post-Arkham Asylum world, normal gamers expect way more than side-scrolling button mashing Final Fight clones these days. People aside from 30, 40 year-old hipsters, that is. Who want to sit in their retro 80s sofa, playing an actual NES console, adjusting their man bun while sipping their organic chai latte and feeling sophisticated.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote