View Single Post
Old 09-20-2017, 08:33 AM   #36
sgtfbomb
Stone Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by myconius View Post
plus that's more George Lucas territory. only he could have gotten away with that sort of stunt and still had it sell.

heck! i'd imagine they could re-release the original Star Wars trilogy adding CG funny-nose and glasses on all the characters and it'd probably sell.

let's just hope Disney doesn't get any bright ideas.
It usually ends doing more worse than good. The new elements stand out like a pink elephant against a black wall. This is particularly true to what has been done to Star Wars multiple times from 1997 to 2011.

The only example I can think of that was actually pretty good was Blade Runner: The Final Cut, where it was used in moderation to make a few minor changes, like changing the sky in one scene and replacing a stunt double's face. The success of that cut wasn't the new F/X, but the improved pacing and restoration in general.

The only other decent example is a few new elements that were added to The Phantom Menace, and that's grabbing for straws. The changes didn't improve the movie, they just didn't make it any worse. And the only reason they fit is because the movie already uses CG.

Phantasm has a small amount of CG added, mostly replacing the flying silver sphere. But even that was weird.

I think if any CG were to utilized on the film, it should be to fix minor goofs, like I believe there's a shot where you can see the actor's face through Donatello's mouth.
sgtfbomb is offline   Reply With Quote