View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 02:58 AM   #26
TommyT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Yes, it is. To suggest that five women get 50% of the work is insanity. And if that's what spurred this conversation, is there even a point in having it? It's Rose McGowan. Does anyone take her seriously?

And I think you're mistaking what bigotry looks like in this case. We're not talking about pig snouted caricatures of chauvinists literally belittling women to their faces and laughing them out of the office.

The complaint is that it's typically easier for a man to land job in certain professions.

It's the same with racism. It's not like there's a cabal of sheet-wearing, toothless white nationalists calling the shots. It's that the system we live in is designed to prefer one group over the other.

Just because we don't see this doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's subtle by design. It's supposed to be invisible so that no one wonders what the hell is going on.

A personal story:

I had a friend in high school who was a punk. I mean that literally: he was very much into the punk/metal scene. He dressed the part, too. Always done up in chains and spiked mohawks. Kid drew attention. It was hard to miss him.

He acted the part, too. He was easily one of the more outrageous people I've ever known. And that's saying something, since I've known some characters in my time.

As it goes, he ends up getting a girl pregnant. But kudos to him, he's high fidelity. He takes responsibility and he's there for her.

Problem is, she lives a town or two over. Neither of them have a car. So my buddy decides to walk to and from her place.

One night, on the way back home, he's hit by a car. Driver doesn't stick around, but the cops find him. Turns out, the driver owns a dealership, took the damaged car there and had it repaired. Told the mechanics he had hit a deer.

My friend died on the side of the road. It wasn't instant, either. He just lay there in the early morning hours bleeding out.

So they catch the guy, take him to court, and it's revealed this isn't the first time this guy pulled a hit and run. This the second. Both were fatalities. One was an old woman he hit while she was crossing the street. My friend was number 2.

Obviously, this guy has to be in trouble, right? Imagine our shock when he's given a suspended license and a small fine. No jail time. No public service. Rich white guy hits some poor Mexican kid and the rich white guy gets a slap on the wrist.

I couldn't believe it. Guy's still out there today living the high life. My friend's dead. System didn't care.

And this is one of the stories. My mother's been sexually harassed by cops. I have students who watched their mothers be assaulted. I have other friends who died because there is a very real bias in this country.
No, you're wrong, on all levels. You should be asking yourself, DESPITE having all the advantage of being courted and handheld by the industry who is FALLING over itself to be as inclusive as possible, WHY don't more women have big successful careers as Directors.

The Misogynistic 80's male is long dead. It's a boogeyman that's gatekeeping on behalf of talentless hacks who happen to be female, but don't appeal to a wide audience.

Why is BOP the fault of anyone BUT the people involved? How many flops over the years have been attributed to the quality of the product? A: all. But lately, a new excuse has emerged, one men never ever used. We never said "not enough women showed up to watch RAMBO, so, they're clearly man haters.

It's absurd, especially when 50% of the top earners in the entertainment industry are women, with ridiculous power.

Put the punch back in the bowl, it's poison.
TommyT is offline   Reply With Quote