View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 10:21 PM   #29
ProactiveMan
Spooky ghost

There’s opinion and then there’s rhetoric, and the latter gets really tiresome after a while. I would never suggest that an opinion should get someone banned, as long as they express it in a civilised manor. Obviously, it’s OK to dislike things, and it’s OK to express your dissatisfaction, and it’s OK to enter into a debate with someone who expresses the opposite opinion, as long as it adds to the conversation.

I don’t think it is OK to interrupt and derail threads because you don’t like the subject matter. If you don’t like something, fine, you don’t have to keep your mouth shut, but once you have satisfied your need to make that clear to everyone, and once any sensible debate has come to its natural conclusion, maybe it’s time to bow out.

What I see a lot around here are people who can’t stand to be left out of conversations, despite not having anything relevant to add. I’ve probably been guilty of that from time to time, but it’s pretty frustrating. It seems to put everyone on the defensive, so even when you try to disagree with a consensus opinion in a constructive way, everyone jumps down your throat because they think you’re causing trouble.