View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
plastroncafe
PerfectlyTunedFightEngine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pferreira View Post
This! But also if fans keeping they're dislike of a female Turtle will lead the mainstream media to start being rude about the fans like what's happened with the Ghostbusters reboot and Doctor Who. Can the mainstream media look past the problem the fans problem of Venus being a female and more that a fifth Turtle is necessary or will we all just be called misogynists?
That all depends on the word choice of the fans in question.
Every Community has its own dialect, for lack of a better term. Words are used in certain fan spaces that are not used in the same way and other places. So I think it's only natural that miscommunication happens.

I also think fandom has a really strong streak of misogyny.
And I say that as a recovering misogynist myself.
Things that are coded for girls and women are seen and treated as less than.

And I fully admit that a good chunk of my hatred for Venus comes directly from the fact that growing up I hated other women and girls.

So if we remove Venus entirely, just utterly erase her from the scene. And say that in this new iteration of the cartoon they added in a female turtle... Yeah, I think people would lose their mind as much if not more then how they're reacting to Leonardo not being the leader.

And that some of this outrage would be misconstrued as misogyny, because it would be linguistically identical to it. Because fandom has its own lexicon.

And unfortunately that lexicon does not excel at conveying the idea : "I don't like this, it doesn't work for me" to people who aren't already fluent.
So your wants and needs as a fan should outweigh everyone else's?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabacooza View Post
There's no sense catering just to one demographic which is idiotic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegita-San View Post
just ignore what you don't like rather than obsessing over it and move on with your life.
plastroncafe is offline   Reply With Quote