View Single Post
Old 06-14-2018, 06:03 PM   #40
MikeandRaph87
Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
Nobody cared about Green Lantern before that story. It was about to be cancelled again when they did that story.
Its hard to believe. I always saw Aquaman, Green Lantern, and Flash as the secondary trinity. Granted Aquaman's limitations keep him from having a solid ongoing title, Hal Jordan and Barry Allen did. At least, I never thought Hal would be hurting in sales so much as unpopular as a character just stale directions. It's just a Superman villain blows up Green Lantern's home and he becomes a mass murderer killing Green Lanterns and Guardians? Its just too much. Not much respect for a JLA founder who had been a big part of the comic line for 35 years. So 90s extreme, no respect for characters, temporary sales peak is the answer to the Emerald Twilight debacle? Its all fixed now, its just the 1994 event seems drastic. Perhaps as soon as this happened people wanted Hal Jordan back and lead to the revival a decade later?

Quote:
Hal Jordan got a lot of horrible jobs. Truck driver, salesman, etc.. There really weren't many "sales gimmicks" in the 60s, that was just the kind of stories there were.
Yes, a lot of fans think he was always a test pilot for Ferris Air, but from around 1968 to 1980 that was not the case. The whole GA/GL do America was made possible due to Hal's truck driver occupation. I can see it as a way to freshen up the character, but like the general public or casual fans know Hal is tied to Ferris air. A lot of obscure stuff like Itty the alien starfish friend of Hal. I have read some of the comics from 1979-1981 and its a pretty solid run, earth-based enemies like Sonar, Evil Star, and Shark all plague Hal while at Ferris and rekindling a relationship with Carol after a brief romance with a gypsy.