View Single Post
Old 12-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #2
Spike Spiegel
See You Next Mission

I don't know the specifics of the Spider-Man collections, but the inaugural Venom/Alien Costume arc and that Hobgoblin story have both been reprinted numerous times in paperback form. Here are a couple I found on Amazon.

Spider-Man: Origin of the Hobgoblin

Spider-Man: Birth of Venom

The only Masterworks I have are Fantastic Four Vol. 10 (the end of Jack Kirby's run, which I bought to supplement my omnibus volumes of the earlier stories) and Savage She-Hulk Vol. 1 (just came out in the fall of 2017, covers issues 1-14 of her original series from 1980). The reproduction quality is truly stellar, and the paper stock they use is slightly glossy and very smooth.

Also, I have several Marvel Omnibi that I enjoy. They are an oversized format with the same great paper quality as the MMWs. Usually, they are a compilation of material from two or three MMW volumes. Some of the ones I've bought include:
  • The Ditko/Lee run on Amazing Spider-Man (Issues 1-38 plus the annuals)
  • The first three omnibi of Claremont's X-Men (Giant-Size X-Men#1-Uncanny X-Men #175 or so).
  • The Frank Miller/Klaus Janson Daredevil run.
  • Grant Morrison's New X-Men.
  • Matt Fraction's two series run on Fantastic Four where Reed, Sue, Ben, and Johnny travel to space while Ms. Thing, Medusa, Ant-Man, and She-Hulk cover for them on Earth.
  • John Byrne's run on FF, collected across two omnibus volumes, which features She-Hulk's tenure on the team in Ben's absence.

I know there is also a Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus that covers the Hobgoblin origin along with the first issue or so of the symbiote arc IIRC. I feel that the omnibus volumes are more cost effective, especially with the low prices from seller websites like InStockTrades and CheapGraphicNovels.

Here's a sample of what the Stern Spider-Man omni looks like.

If it's a run of something that is very important to you and you don't mind spend a little more than you would on the Essentials, it's worth it. Also check your LCS for damaged copies and markdowns. I found the Jessica Jones/ALIAS omnibus with a slightly dented cover for $30, despite the fact that it was OOP and the MSRP is around $100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
Mirage [is]...a comic about life and how life and the people closest to you just absolutely suck sometimes. It's "adult" in a very real sense, in that it deals with heavy themes that resonate more with adults, not that it's full of blood and titties or whatever.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_osborn View Post
[TMNT 1990 director Steve] Barron recognized the early Mirage issues as perfect storyboards. It's a shame no other filmmaker has.
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote