View Single Post
Old 12-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #20
CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy
Annalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMarvelDuckie View Post
I agree, CKD. One of the biggest issues that has turned me off of comics in the last few years is the amount of pointless, uninspired drivel that passes for storytelling these days. Not to mention all the gimmicky new "characters" riding the coattails of long-time characters with actual backtories and memorable villains. But the past decade has given us Spider-Gwen and villains like Paper Doll, Overdrive, and a Parkour-using petty crook looking for internet fame. Seriously?! THIS is the best they can do??!! Instead of GOOD Spidey, FF or Avenger stories, they come up with this tripe.
I feel the same way. Except for a few outliers (main examples being Snyder's "Batman" and Tomasi's "Batman and Robin"), it feels like the comic industry of the big two is no longer fresh and original. Instead of pizza cooked in a brick oven (or sometimes just a cheesy Pizza Hut buffet), it's now reheated Red Baron.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
Aaah. Got'cha.
I can imagine that would be frustrating for someone invested in the larger Marvel Universe. I'm just not one of those people. I've only ever been an X-person, and the last Great Big X-over I followed religiously was Age of Apocalypse.

These days I prefer to keep to the smaller titles, because I don't have the energy to follow the big events. So this Gwenpool thing is right up my alley.

Especially seeing as I prefer my Marvel Universe to either be bubblegum or so Dark and Gritty it borders on parody.
It seems to me it would be very difficult to follow any Marvel titles that don't find themselves involved in the Great Big X-Overs. But my sample pool is quite limited, I'll readily admit. Haven't been able to find any "Guardians of the Galaxy" TPBs yet, so I'm still pretty exclusive to Batman. I should try X-Men comics, though... except for X-Force, I've pretty much stayed clear of it.

So what smaller titles do you follow?