View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 10:53 PM   #25
Andrew NDB
Weed Whacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandRaph87 View Post
I think well of Morrison obviously and enjoyed his Batman run overall. However, you cannot get into every story a writer does.

Final Crisis did not speak to me. I do not hate it, its just not my cup of tea. I felt it had a cheap ending when Superman just wished everything back to normal with some machine's help. There was also the pointless deaths of Martian Manhunter who came right back after a hit was put on him by a z-lister and Hawkman died only to die again a few months later in Blackest Knight. The whole reincarnation of the New Gods into hip human characters was just weird. Sure, Morrison has this flair for the weird,but that? This being a company-wide crossover big event I do not how much creative freedom Morrison was allowed. Therefore, I do not blame him for my disinterest in the mini-series itself.

Infinite Crisis had a pretty good build up, while yes a money scheme with four minis leading to a fifth one. One Year Later was unnecessary, but the Infinite Crisis was a callback to the Bronze Age. My favorite period is the late 60s' to the mid 80s' so it spoke to me. The story itself was a fun ride that I looked forward to with anticipation. There was one major gripe overall. I am not pleased with how Earth-2 Superman was handled. Superboy-Prime and Alexander Luthor Jr. had been leaving their prism prison often for six months and he was oblivious. His hands were bleeding when he broke free of it which was cheapened after what his two fellow hibernation mates were up to. Also, dying due to kryptonite exposure after everything. He and Lois having a happy ending while no one else did including Earth-2 Batman (died in 1978 ) was undone. That was my one beef with the story itself. Superboy-Prime and Alexander Jr. going crazy watching events unfold before them while being homesick is fine and is a twist that works. The whole wall punching changing continuity was bullcrap, but it was not tied to the actual story of Infinite Crisis.

I am a fan of Geoff John's Green Lantern work and I did enjoy his Crisis of Conscience arc in the JLA volume. Johns is overrated and pushed too much down reader's throats like Bendis was at Marvel and it makes one polarized. Its like they model what the respective company wants and its sells really well so they feed them key titles and story-lines. The same with Wolfman and Claremont in the 1980s'. They were given too much power because they had sales and had the golden seal of approval.
I apologize to you, sir. You do have some gumption of his body of work.
Andrew NDB is offline   Reply With Quote