View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 01:37 PM   #15
Ecto Jedi
Denki Wo Kitte Kudasai

I honestly can't even begin to comprehend what those idiots at Konami are thinking...Yes, including the old arcade games in the new console beat-em-ups is a good idea; indeed, the prospect of playing these classic arcade brawlers on our PS2s has had many fans excited. But altering these great games (which came out at the height of the Turtles' popularity back in the 90's) to make them more like the new series is an atrocious offense to all things Holy and good on this Earth.

The idea that Konami is totally scrapping the old soundtracks and replacing them with new music is appalling, quite frankly. This simply goes to show you that Konami doesn't really care about fans of the old cartoon --- by altering the game, the company is trying to appease newer fans and is literally giving us old-schoolers the finger. (Jesus, I'm only 17 and I'm considered an old-schooler??) No matter how good the newer version of "Turtles in Time" will play, changing the core formula is not a smart move on Konami's part: they've advertised the inclusion of the old arcade game, not some half-assed version with music pulled from the new series and altered graphics.

I was peeved about a year ago at the state of the original Turtles arcade game in "TMNT 2: Battle Nexus", too. The classic theme of the 1987-1996 cartoon plays an integral part in the richness of the old TMNT property, and replacing it with an annoying, nerve-gratingly repetitive song from the new series was a huge mistake. The game just ended up looking and feeling unpolished --- a real travesty, in my opinion. If they really want to alter the original arcade games, why don't they keep the music and sound effects, but change the game code so that you can't keep inserting quarters over and over again when you haven't yet died...!

"Cowabunga! Cowabunga! Cowabunga! Cowa-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cow-Cowabunga!"

Jesus, that was one of the most annoying things I've experienced in a video games. At the very least, I thought Konami would learn from its mistakes and include a full, unaltered version of "Turtles in Time" in the new "TMNT 3: Mutant Nightmare"...Instead, they're making the same mistakes and all new ones, too.

Jeez I am pissed about this...
Ecto Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote