View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

Where would you place TMNT in the world of pop culture?

As we all know, the TMNT are quite famous all over the world. Most people on Earth have heard of them at one point or another, and I've never met anyone who has not so far. But we also know that the TMNT are not as big or a constant presence as Batman, Spider-man, Super Mario, Star Wars, etc. are.

So basically, the TMNT are very well known, but not the most well-known thing around. They're not obscure when ti comes to their cartoons and movies, but their comics are, especially Mirage.

I know this sounds a bit of an odd question, but let's say you had to divide pop culture into tiers of fame/success/revenue/wtv... where would you place the Turtles? I'd personally place them lower than the likes of Looney Tunes character, Disney characters, Super Mario Spider-Man, Batman, Superman, Many of the Marvel heroes I can't name, Star Wars, DBZ and I guess even Naruto and One Piece.

So that's a lot of popular properties for TMNT to be below of. For a non-obscure franchise that once spawned the most popular cartoon on the planet and the highest grossing independent movie ever(dunno if it still holds that record or not...) it sure goes under the radar for a lot of people. Everyone forgot about the 2k3 series, and the Nick toon seems to have lost steam 2-3 seasons in. TMNT are like that sports team that has one good season every 9-10 seasons or so, finishing in the middle or bottom of them table in the rest. It won the biggest trophy achievable over 20 years ago and is forever remembered as that... well perhaps this isn't a good analogy, let me try another one. TMNT is like a small country that once had done cool things in its history but has lost a lot of its relevancy since then. Or it's a small rather wealthy country but lacks population and GDP to be put on the same league as the major powers.

I dunno, thoughts? Or am I being silly?
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote