Thread: [Fan Art] Mostly Utroms
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #24
Utrommaniac
Resident overthinker

I suppose it's an affinity for obscure fantasy societies in general.

On a real-world note, I had an obsession with learning about bats - and then snakes - in most of middle school.
Through most of high school, I had something similar for the Rat Creatures from the Bone comics...who are still awesome, if not even more obscure. Then I watched Doctor Who and enjoyed the Daleks.
I tried to create my own faction; a group that escaped the Time War and tried to reverse back into Kaleds somewhere deep in the universe.
Ch'rell was the first Utrom I would ever see, and that was from Phelous' review of Turtles Forever, and I ended up watching three versions at once, then went into the comics. I wanted to look into Utroms for more inspiration for that group of Daleks, but they ended up being exactly what I wanted.

Even with the Rat Creatures and Daleks, I'd still have a lot of enjoyment in figuring out what they were outside of how they're shown in canon. Where are the female Rat Creatures, I'd ask. What is life like for a single individual Dalek among the millions, I'd ask. With Utroms, one such question is how the **** they cram all their organs into their little round bodies.

Developing Temre was probably the final nail in the head, because I haven't looked back since then. I haven't even posted all the potential I've worked on for her - especially as a combatant and military leader.

I've enjoyed looking into single groups of things for a long time, and Utroms are just the next tier in that.