View Single Post
Old 01-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #71
mikey0
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original TMNT Cartoon Fan View Post
The 1990 film was a failure in Sweden because it was rated 15 (so younger children couldn't watch it in cinemas, even with their parents).

http://www.popkorn.nu/mm-arkiv/retrospektiv_002.html

Secret of the Ooze was a huge hit here, and the moviestar action figures also I guess.
Thank you for sharing that interesting fact with me.

I’m sorry to say this, but the basic assortments to the original Playmates toyline were disjointed from the very first wave of figures. The 1988 Foot Soldier action figure was one of the very first cartoony looking action figures to come out of the ‘80s, if I’m not mistaken. The statue-like appearance of the 1988 Foot Soldier separates it from the other figures, also. I always thought characters like Genghis Frog and Ace Duck in the second wave were horrible additions to the line, but no one then (myself included) knew what to expect from the original Playmates toyline when it was in its’ infant years. The third and last wave of 1989 was much more of an improvement over second set of figures.

Here’s how I see it, really:

1988 - 1989: Good action figure line (not the best, but not bad)
1990 - mid ‘91: The original toyline is still somewhat in the safe zone.
Late ‘91 - mid ‘97: The first Playmates line takes the plunge completely by catering to children exclusively.

Last edited by mikey0; 01-06-2019 at 12:44 PM.
mikey0 is offline   Reply With Quote