Thread: Pet Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2017, 12:46 AM   #110
IndigoErth
Team Blue Boy

I had hermit crabs once, for a little while. Wish they'd have lasted longer, but back then I guess I wasn't really knowledgeable enough and this was prior to the internet to provide info.

Although there was the one time my big one clamped down on my thumb nail and refused to let go for a while... so I I said fine, and just held it in my hand while I went to do stuff at home I needed to do... but one handed. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
They also had a lungfish that was notorious for escaping. On the wired side of the tank.
Must be like the one and only fish people could post up "lost pet" posters for. Sad for a pet to go missing... but amusing to consider asking anyone if they've seen my fish and wait for the confused look.

So would they just find it off hiding in the house somewhere?? Hard to wrap the head around a fish doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFell View Post
Those little crabs found a way to escape somehow.
Note to self, scratch off the list 'wondering if there are any tiny freshwater tolerant crabs to pick up the crumbs.'

My only real escapees were a couple little newts I'd once gotten to live in a fish tank, with a few goldfish, that I had in the enclosed back porch at the time. They up and escaped, never to be seen again.

Beyond them, long ago, when I was still an older kid, we'd gotten a couple bullfrog tadpoles for the backyard goldfish pond. (We waited until after they grew legs before putting them in.) One vanished prob after that first summer, but the other stayed around, tending to spend part of its time with us, and part of its time likely in a nearby pool behind a house in the next neighborhood behind us. So technically we still had a pet bullfrog, but it came and went as it pleased.

All these years later, even with our pond long gone, we've STILL heard a bullfrog some nights in the summer. Although...I don't think they don't live nearly that long, so I think we inadvertently created a territory that our frog's kin have continued. Though the pool it tended to hang around (at least by direction of the sound) was filled in last summer. So who knows if it will remain, that might be it after all these years.
IndigoErth is offline   Reply With Quote