View Single Post
Old 03-14-2023, 07:59 PM   #5
Cowabung-Gal
The Party Dudette

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLabRat View Post
TLR main series has too many flashback. I also don't like that Splinter and Donnie died in stupid ways. I mean Splinter became careless, obsessed with making peace with their enemy, stupid enough to let himself fall into the enemy's trap. He was responsible for Donnie's death.
I was a little puzzled by the way they died too. I always figured Leonardo would be the one to die by his father’s side since he’s the leader and Splinter’s best (and possibly favorite) student. In retrospect, though, it was actually a clever way to end Donatello and Splinter’s story.

In the original Mirage comics, Splinter and Donnie stayed behind in Northampton while the others returned to New York after the “City At War” arc. Donnie later had a vision of visiting the village of Chihaya (where Splinter was born) in Japan. Splinter eerily interpreted this as a precognition of Donnie having to bury his father in Chihaya. So Splinter and Donatello dying together while staying in Japan was clearly a nod to the original comics.

Also, the reason Donatello was given the purple bandana was because the color symbolizes peace and he is the most pacifistic of the group. Of course he would want the Hamato-Oroku war to end, and eventually, a tired aged Splinter, who had lost a child to the conflict, would want it to end as well. So they both agreed to negotiating peace with the enemy. Unfortunately, it ended much differently than they anticipated.

Last edited by Cowabung-Gal; 03-14-2023 at 10:28 PM.
Cowabung-Gal is offline   Reply With Quote