View Single Post
Old 04-04-2017, 08:30 PM   #9
TMNT_Guy
Stone Warrior

There are a couple of fantastic NES clones such as RetroUSB's AVS and the very expensive Analogue NT. FPGA consoles like RetroUSB's AVS are not emulation nor are they simply "famiclones". They offer an experience and performance just like official hardware...except in HD. You can also get an original NES to output HDMI at 1080p with the Hi-Def NES mod.

If you have any interest in the NES I highly recommend checking out My Life In Gaming's reviews of these consoles.

As for Super Nintendo, there aren't really any fantastic options available at this time. Kevtris, the creator of the Analogue NT's software, is currently working on a FPGA based console called the Zimba 3000 with the SNES being one of the many consoles that it will support...but that won't be available anytime soon. Retron 5 is a popular option, but all it is is a low powered computer with emulators...so it's much cheaper and simpler to simply download the emulator and rom to your PC. It's also worth noting that emulation will never play 100% correctly. Some common issues with emulation include inaccurate colors and graphics, bugs and glitches that wouldn't happen on official hardware and input lag(the time it take for your TV to display your button input.). The Retron 5 in particular is quite laggy and then there is also the controversy over the developers of the Retron 5 using emulators without the creator's permission. So that's something to consider if you care about that sort of thing. Overall it's not a terrible option and probably the best option for novice players that just want to use their official cartridges or controllers. It's also great for for applying translation patches or hacks.

Using an official SNES console is a bit more complicated because most modern TVs won't even display the console.

Here's the basics: All game consoles until the release of the Sega Dreamcast outputted at a signal of 240p. The lowest progressive signal modern TVs are designed to work with is 480p. If your TV even does display an image it will likely misread the image as 480i with will cause alot of visual effects, such as when you character get hurt and flashes repeatedly, to not display correctly and it will add additional input lag.

However, there are options to get an old Super Nintendo to work on modern TVs, but they all have their pros and cons. If you're interested in using an original Super Nintendo on modern TVs I recommend these videos: