View Single Post
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #70
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utrommaniac View Post
]

Yeah, I would agree on that, but since this is part of the "remake" chain, every update is just

I mean...why New Zealand??? Does China not have enough grand sweeping landscapes for them to work with???

And I know I tend to not be bothered by a lot of "changes" from TMNT, but there's a difference between those kinds of remakes, and something that's part of a chain of movies that has been, for the most part, either trying to recreate an entire movie, tell another perspective, be a "sequel", or try to "correct" what casual viewers complain about while missing the point of the story (I have...issues...with the complaints about Cinderella).

It also really feels like it's following the chain of "uwu Mulan is such a rebellious tomboy" people. Which is...no??? She was content to conform to what her family needed her to be, and was unhappy she couldn't live up to those expectations, so she jumped the gun (crossbow?) far beyond what she was capable of or what she was expected to do, because she felt her father's health and safety were important in that snap of a moment. It wasn't even something she fully thought through. She was someone who had spent that entire day fvcking up, ruining her chance of marriage in the only way she could honor her family in that culture, embarrassing her father in front of an entire crowd of people - and that is what her father felt dishonored by. Not the fact that she made a complete fool of herself in front of the matchmaker (though no one was aware of the cricket involved), that eventually led to her being set on fire...but the fact that she embarrassed him in front of the Emperor's councilor and military officials and entire crowd of people because she was freaked out over him being drafted, while elderly and handicapped by a previous war wound (supposedly). She had the flip of the coin to either restore her family's honor (and uplift her own self-respect) or be caught and sink even further down the path. And so she took that flip because her family was worth that chance. It wasn't because she was a tomboy itching to prove women were capable of more than being a happy homemaker and mother (WHICH SHE WAS CONTENT TO DO!), it was because she felt it was the only path for her to take!

And BOYYYY did she never, ever plan on going into full-on combat with the leader of her country's enemies and utterly annihilating him...and his entire army! Girl got a body count of thousands even if it was never her intent. And she did all of this, not dressed as the soldier she left home in, but in her freakin' dress!

I have a lot of feelings about Mulan and she deserves better than the "rebellious tomboy" visage people keep giving her. Not to say it's a bad thing for a character to be a rebellious tomboy, but Mulan is neither of those things.

Stay tuned for when I go on another rant on how Cinderella just wanted to take a break from work and abuse for a night, how Aurora was given absolutely no agency or control in her life, how Bell never took any of the Beast's sh*t, and that Ariel's actions to go on land were more based on her father treating her like a child and not respecting anything she had to say even before Eric came into the picture.

Where is the applause button when I need one? Agreed to this.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote