View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #55
pferreira
Foot Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtfbomb View Post
I like the underlying element that gives the film, but even in the workprint, it feels tossed in. Ultimately, I think all the changes made for the theatrical cut are large improvement for the film, particularly the ending, breaking in Walter's house, and the nightmare scene. Although, I do like bits here and there, like the "one or two sacrifices" line and having the boss (played by Kevin McCarthy) in the nightmare, but it made more sense keeping the focus in the neighborhood.
Yeah mostly like them all entering Walter's house which was much better than what happened in the original cut but I kind of feel having Tom Hanks character fired gives him an excuse as to why he's on holiday depressed.

Quote:
It's not about gaining footage. It's about artistic intentions.
See how Buffy turned out in HD.

Quote:
Furthermore, The X-Files was a TV show. The first several seasons were filmed and intentionally cropped for 4:3 and later seasons were filmed with intention of 16:9. However, if I recall this is a special case because they had hoped to use the 16:9 frame one day. A TV show thinking about such a thing is a rarity. Take Friends, for example. It was shot in 16:9, but the early seasons never intended to use the full picture, so outside the 4:6 boundary, there were crew members, actors out of character, parts of the set, etc. For HD broadcasts, they attempted to use the original uncropped footage, but the flubs were clearly visible. So when it came time to do the Blu Ray version, they had to reframe it. This is most likely true of most shows at the time.
Space: Above And Beyond came out in the mid-90s and that show was shot in HD and filmed in widescreen. Same goes for Space Precinct. Unfortunately no one yet has taken advantage on how those shows are supposed to be shown on home entertainment formats. Maybe one day.
pferreira is offline   Reply With Quote