Thread: Doctor Who
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 03:28 PM   #268
Raph's Girl
Dierna Soul, Reporter

Rumour has it that Patrick Stewart is gonna have a reacurring role on Dr. Who. This would totally rock cuz Patrick is a MAJOR Whovian and has been wanting to be on the show.

http://trekmovie.com/2008/10/05/patr...on-doctor-who/

Quote:
According to the report in The Star, Stewart has been offered the role of a rival Time Lord called the ‘Meddling Monk,’ a character last seen on the series in 1966. The Star quotes a ”Star Trek insider’ (they probably meant a Doctor Who insider) saying “Patrick has been formally approached to star in Doctor Who and is very keen to do it.” The report notes that Stewart will take the role if his film commitments allow. However Stewart, does not appear to have any film commitments and besides doing voice work and commercials, his focus has been on the stage in recent years.

Although The Star is a dubious publication, Stewart has previously expressed interest in doing a spot on Doctor Who. A year ago we reported that the actor told North Scotland "I have been (a fan) actually yes, and deeply dismayed that I was never asked to be in it! I think it’s a terrific series." At the time he was also quoted as saying "I would love to be in Doctor Who. I am doing some RSC work with David Tennant next year so who knows? If we gel on stage we could on screen." Now a year later Stewart’s run with Tennant and Hamlet is a sold out hit that runs through to next January.

Tennant’s work with the RSC has actually cut into the Doctor Who schedule and so for 2009 there will only be four ’specials’ instead of a regular season. These will begin shooting January, after Stewart and Tennant wrap up their work on Hamlet. Tennant is expected to return to the role for a full season to air in 2010. According to the Star report, the BBC is ’so keen’ to get Stewart that they would save the character for him until the 2010 season if needed.

Doctor Who site Planet Gallifrey reported on Patrick Stewart possibly playing The Meddling Monk a week ago and again today. One of these reports was picked up by io9. It is possible that The Daily Star repackaging these, or they may have their own sources. For now we will just have to wait.
Patrick Stewart as a Time Lord?!....Squee!!!