View Single Post
Old 04-15-2019, 06:43 PM   #16
The Great Saiyaman
Stone Warrior

Let's have the top five episodes for our lovable but extremely talented goofball.

5. Into Dimension X
"In crazy backwards land, crazy backwards guy is king." This episode reminded me a lot of the "Masters of the universe" episode "Trouble in Trolla" where we get to see Orko's home world. Many of the laws of nature, physics, and magic are reversed on Trolla: trees grow upside down, fish fly like birds, fire-rays shoot water and Orko's normally weak, bumbling and disastrous magic is powerful and reliable. Much like Orko on Trolla, when in Dimension X, Mikey becomes a bad ass, figuring out bleak situations in seconds and coming up with solutions on the fly. Or as the others put it so eloquently: "He's so UN-Mikey." Subsequent visits to Dimension X show that this wasn't a one-off occurrence, since he instantly became the insightful, bad ass Mikey once more.

4. It came from the depth
This one has to be in here, this episode showed Mikey as the only one who didn't see Leatherhead as a monster and taught him not to see HIMSELF as being a monster. One of the most difficult things in life is for a person to accept themselves for who they are and love themselves for it. Here Mikey opens his heart for somebody who needs it and it paid off as Leatherhead became a trusted ally to the Turtles, who loved to grab Donnie by the face and shake him like a rag doll.

3. Pizza face
Splinter said that of all his sons, Mikey is the one with the most raw talent and this episode shows that even without the boost in IQ he gets on Dimension X, he's a force to be reckoned with. All the joking about him interrogating a Pizza slice aside, we can't deny that he actually took on his brothers and won from them, this was without a doubt the episode which showed just how good he really is at fighting.

2. When worlds collide
Every single episode which starred Renet had Mikey in a state of "Dude, I can't believe she REALLY is MY girl!" The fact that Renet is just as Zany as he is also adds to how adorable their interaction is. But it's not just for that reason why I name this episode. Electric Mikey was awesome and once more a reminder on why Splinter rates Mikey's talent as highly as he did. Mikey takes to his new powers like a fish to water, I'm not quite sure if for example Raphael could have handled those powers as well. Plus, seeing Mikey nude after Bishop took those said powers away, was always going to be funny.

1. Journey to the center of Mikey's mind
Well, no surprises here, this has to be the ultimate Michelangelo episode, this had it all. The fact that the multiple facets of Mikey's personality were all different sizes show so much about him: the facet which makes sense is really tiny, the zany side of him is normal sized, the impulsive, glutenous side is obese and the angry side, where his talent at fighting comes from, is a giant. Also, what's not to love about his fantasy world, we got to see so much from previous seasons. And again, the fact that Renet was skyscraper sized shows how much she means to him. And the way he defeated Belly bomb by belching in his face was just epic.

Honorable Mention Mikey gets shellacne
Teen angst is something we didn't get to see with Mikey that often, this episode was the exception. He made a mistake, suffers the consequences of making that mistake and finds that he basically stands alone in rectifying that mistake. The scene where he sneaks out with his brother still arguing on where Baxter Stockman could be says it all: he can take initiative on his own if the others won't listen.