View Single Post
Old 06-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #16
sdp
-

I followed this movie heavily here in the drome and the director was very vague about things but basically would always say this was a new universe and it clearly was meant to be a new universe. If you want to know Monroe specifically flip flopped from the first one being in continuity to maybe the first two but that it was its own thing etc. In the end we have the trophy room which ironically has TMNT III references which he never mentioned as possibly happening.

I was part of the IT HAS TO BE TMNT IV camp as many were and was happy ot have the trophy room but after seeing the movie and reading the tie-in stuff I realized it made no sense to shoehorn it into the movie continuity. First of all the movies don't add up, the first trilogy are clearly taking place in the late 80s/early 90s while this is a modern world. Pretty much all characters act very differently. The trophy room is pretty much filled with stuff all incarnations of the turtles have done like defeat Shredder, the canister, time scepter and has stuff the movie turtles didn't do as well but have done in many other incarnations like the triceratons and mousers.

However the tie-in comics and kids novels like "who's the nightwatcher" make references to characters like Silver Sentry and flesh out this universe as its own thing. If we'd gotten more movies in this universe it would've definitely become a different universe. And while the fandom may hate it The Next Mutation actually has way more connections and references to the original trilogy making that one more of a sequel to the three films than the 2007 one.

That's my argument, and yeah I'm also now in the camp that "as long as there aren't any huge contradictions" I will shoehorn it into the Nick universe, just so it doesn't feel so alone.
sdp is offline   Reply With Quote