View Single Post
Old 06-25-2019, 10:22 PM   #21
ranger_scout
Foot Elite

Here are my thoughts on all of them.
  • Maleficent - I actually kind of enjoyed this film. When I first heard about it I thought it was going to be extremely dark and spooky, but I actually had some fun and humorous moments. Plus, Aurora got some much needed character development from the original film. They are also working on a sequel, but I see any need to expand the story.

• Cinderella - This was one of the most gorgeous films I've ever seen. Out of all the fairy tales that have received the live-action treatment, this was easily the best one. The cast was just perfect and it was very faithful to the source material as well. I even thought it was better than the animated film, which I never actually loved as a kid.

• The Jungle Book - Visually it was outstanding. Plus, I really liked the characters and the little twists that were made to the story. It was great to escape to such an imaginative world like that one, especially because I had a lousy first quarter of 2016.

• Pete's Dragon - I'm might be cheating on this one, but the original film featured animated moments. I think this was probably the most underrated film of 2016. It was so heart-warming and had a beautiful message as well. I also liked a lot of the performances in This is something I could watch countless times and never get bored of it.

• Beauty and the Beast - It's very hard to redo a masterpiece like the original. However, it mostly stayed true to the story it was based upon. Hearing the classic songs really did make feel like a kid again. Overall, I thought it was a solid adaptation and it was worth seeing in theaters. Plus, the movie and the original's 25th anniversary re-release on home media gave Belle a much needed boost in popularity. She made about less than $7,000 in merchandise on Ebay in 2013. Also, Emma Watson's portrayal was far better than the one Emilie de Davin played on Once Upon a Time.

• Christopher Robin - I absolutely loved hearing Jim Cummings as Pooh and Tigger again. The man is a genius and I am astounded that Disney hasn't named him a Disney Legend for the numerous voices he's done for their projects for nearly 30 years now. Also, this movie really takes me back to their childhood. It was also nice to have Pooh and his friends return to the big screen after the underwhelming box-office performance of their animated film from 2011, which had to compete against Harry Potter & the Deathly Hallows -Part 2 and The Smurfs.

• Dumbo - I honestly don't know why this was given the live-action treatment. Tim Burton's work is either hit-or-miss for me. I did like the twist of seeing humans actually treating the sweet little outcast with respect before and after he flies. However, the script reallly could've been better.

• Aladdin - The original will always be one my family's all-time favorite films, but I was having a good time watching it. I was so nice hearing that music I grew up with along with Pasek and Paul's new song. Will Smith has VERY BIG SHOES to fill when he plays the Genie, but I think he made it his own and did just fine. Naomi Scott was fantastic as Jasmine and Mena Massoud was a likable and believable Aladdin.

• Some people consider Tim Burton's 2010 film Alice in Wonderland to be a remake or some kind of re-imagining of the 1951 animated film. However, Burton didn't even consider that to be a live-action adaptation at all. People either loved it or hated it. I personally enjoyed the movir, but I really didn't like its sequel Alice Through the Looking Glass at all.
ranger_scout is offline   Reply With Quote