View Single Post
Old 09-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
oldmanwinters
Overlord

Well, Ghostbusters has always been seen as a franchise with adult appeal and nobody accuses the Real Ghostbusters cartoon of watering down the franchise into something silly only kids can enjoy. And the current comic has been great for years. And it's sales aren't much to write home about for whatever reason.
So I don't understand the argument that somehow TMNT's popularity is held back by their family-friendly image of the 1990s.

Quite frankly, the TMNT isn't Batman or X-Men and it never will be. But these days I.P.s and their merchandising appeal are far more valuable than the actual monthly comic book sales. How many copies does a top-tier Marvel book sell a month? 40k?

Most kids I know who like the TMNT today aren't comic book readers because the industry caters almost exclusively to adults, collectors, and specialty shops. Kids aren't gonna get interested in comics they find on a rack at the grocery market like I did a few decades ago. So comic publishers can only really hope to grow their readership through digital incentives rather than getting print copies into the hands of young readers.

Experience the TMNT Fan Commentaries!
Check out my TMNT fan comic, "Nothing to Fear"!
View my sketch work!
I'm selling some of my hard-to-find TMNT items!
oldmanwinters is offline   Reply With Quote