View Single Post
Old 11-26-2018, 10:48 AM   #165
AquaParade
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
"The Thing" was better than the movie it was spawned from. Crucial difference. The version of "Wizard of Oz" everyone knows is also a remake, also the best version. It happens occasionally.

"The Thing" (1982) is a film you have seen. "The Lion King" (2019) is a film you have not seen.
Surely you see the true crucial difference there.

It's always easy to tell, early on, if the "cover version" is going to be any better than the original. Rarely, the answer is yes. 99% of the time, the answer is No. You can tell FAR in advance, and if the answer is "No, it's not Better, it's just There," then nobody needs to have bothered. Waste of time, waste of resources. Sure, they've got the resources to waste, but they're still just jacking off and making people pay for it. I find it crass. Sorry if that bothers some folks.

I disagree that you can far tell in advance. That sounds ignorant, and honestly, a little pompous, to me. Not saying you are, but that's how I read a statement like that. I like to let the work speak for itself once it's good and ready. To each their own.

It's hilarious to me, because if you look closely, most of the same people who bemoan Hollywood for "never doing anything new" and make fun of Movie X for "trying to copy" Movie Y, are also the ones acting like Disney are some kind of heroes for this kind of lazy sh*t. And they don't even notice or realize their own hypocrisy. Same exact people.

I find this to be a common symptom of internet communication these days. Often you see people exclaiming that there is some type of hive-mind that can't seem to make up it's mind on a subject and keeps contradicting itself, when often it's just thousands of clashing opinions going back and forth.

Unless you have a specific example or person to point out, there's no point in claiming it's the exact same people making those statements. It's just anecdotal.

Yes, we ALL know that everything is Business First, and blah blah blah. THIS, though, is the single laziest, most blatant "These rubes will buy anything!" type of move I've ever seen anyone pull, and I really can't fathom why people are so enthusiastic about it. If it was just a little bit lazy, that'd be one thing. But again, this is a Van Sant "Psycho" situation, a 1:1 copy/paste. By all rights, if that movie was "A worthless piece of sh*t" for being exactly the same as it's inspiration, then people should have the same exact reaction for this one.

Okay, I'm gathering that you take umbrage with this film for being an extreme case of cash over artistic merit, in that the trailer is showing us "frame for frame" type shots, etc.
I can understand that, but I'd say that:

1.we really don't know whether it's going to turn out as a 100% copy/paste until we see the film. Trailers are for marketing purposes ("Hey, remember this??") and can often be deceiving.

2. I respect your opinion on the matter if that is the case, but I personally don't have as much of a problem with a remake of this type.

That's because I do expect it to have it's differences (we already know it will have some different songs - arguable half the appeal to a classic Disney film), and I do acknowledge they want to tell this story to a new audience, who perhaps wouldn't be interested in seeing a hand-drawn animated film, because it's not the medium they've grown up with. We've always passed timeless stories down and told them in new ways. Spider-Man's origin wouldn't be a great example, because it's been beat to death, but it is a great story that I do hope is told again in fifteen to twenty years.

As for the 'Psycho" comment/comparison, I really can't get behind this continued theme of treating the internet film-community as a "hive-mind" that must be held accountable for having more than one opinion. It's not. It's different people sharing different opinions that will often contradict one another.
If no one here is speaking on the "Psycho" remake, than it's just anecdotal.

Frankly, I don't think that remake OR this one is "a worthless piece of sh*t", but a little consistency in people's opinions would sure be nice. Then again, "Psycho" wasn't giving people a chance to buy more $50 stuffed animals, so maybe that's the variable.

I could talk to you all day about the scary, capitalism-riding, corporation-influencing, merchandising machine that is Disney. We'd probably agree on a lot of aspects and I bet you could teach me a few things, but what is most interesting is that you are so hell-bent against this movie, yet you want to go see it. If you're going to call Disney out, don't support the problem.

If you point the finger and shame everyone who is excited, then line up to buy a ticket, well, you just look like a confused bully.
Inserted my replies above, bolded. I probably got a big aggressive, but it's a lot of give and take around here. Enjoying the discussion with you all though.

Last edited by AquaParade; 11-26-2018 at 10:58 AM.
AquaParade is offline   Reply With Quote