View Single Post
Old 01-18-2020, 09:01 PM   #10
neatoman
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
If anything this goes to show how something similar can be very different depending on the show/characters/dialog/alterations. I find that far more interesting than someone recycling his old scripts which isn't plagiarism just lazyness. I really have no issue with it except with David Wise claims he made TMNT what they are today but whatever. A story depending on how it's told also depends on whether it's a good or bad story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltron View Post
Well, it apparently worked. I agree with d_osborn on this one. If I'm on a schedule and have to turn out scripts for toy commercials, I'd be tempted to do it, too.

I wonder how many of these writers were really interested in writing thought out, character driven stories?
The thing about David Wise's attitude that really bugs is that he has the gall to claim virtually everything about TMNT that people like is his idea, when he clearly didn't have enough passion for them to write original scripts. I wouldn't have much of a problem if he was honest about not really giving a crap, or at least if he just claimed to have had "fun" writing the show. But as is he's taking credit for things we know Kevin and Peter made, which I can't let slide. Not that any sensible person would ever believe him, every piece of TMNT media ever says and will continue to say "Based on characters created by Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird" somewhere, but still...

And even taking Kevin and Peter out of the equation, there's no way David Wise was nearly as influential as he claims to be. We know most of the original characters in season 1 were created by Playmates, they wouldn't have had toys so early on otherwise, there's even proof that Bebop and Rocksteady were designed by Peter Laird. We also know that Playmates were in possession of documents made by Mirage, explaining the characters' personalities in a simplified way, meaning David Wise wasn't really responsible for turning the Turtles into simplified archetypes either. We know that the actors also improvised lines from the very start, meaning a lot of the dialogue and humor wasn't written by him. And finally we know that Kevin and Peter vetoed several major aspects of the season 1 scripts, meaning that there's a good chance any original ideas he had were removed before the recording/animation even started.

From were I sit it's entirely possible (if not probable) that all David Wise did was to glue together a bunch of backstories and concepts supplied by other people, kinda the writing equivalent of assembling IKEA furniture.
Hahahaha!
neatoman is offline   Reply With Quote