View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #97
Chris
Mad Scientist

Well this announcement came sooner than expected! I thought they'd finish season 5 before confirming a new show.

I've enjoyed the 1st Nick show. It definitely had its ups and downs but it's been a good run overall (and to be honest if Owari had been the end I would have been content). Right now I'm just looking forward to seeing how the guys move forward in a post-Splinter & post-Shredder world. That's something that that most incarnations never get round to tackling. Hopefully they get to explore some new directions & give us a really strong final season.

"Younger & lighter" definitely isn't my preference but I'm not the target audience. If it's enjoyable that's great, if not I can skip it (I still have IDW & all my 4Kids DVDs). This is for the next generation now. The Nick show, like 4Kids before it, grew up with its audience, getting darker & more violent as it went along. We can probably expect resets/reboots like this every 5-6 seasons now. It gives each generation their own version, Nick the boost of a new show & Playmates a full line relaunch. From a business perspective it makes sense, especially with the 2012 story drawing to a close & the toy line winding down.

I'm a bit concerned about the show being 2D. I love 2D but I really don't like the current flash style animation most shows use today. I get that it's cheaper to make but it looks so cheap and nasty compared to older shows. Something at least equivalent to BTTS (4Kids last & presumably cheapest season) would be nice.

With them announcing it so soon I wonder when we can expect to hear more. SDCC seems too soon and likely will be a send off for the current show. Maybe NYCC? That would be about a year out and the current show should be wrapping up by then (barring any massive breaks to make it last till next spring). We'll almost certainly be seeing stuff at Toy Fair next February so I imagine we'll be seeing something before then in terms of character designs at least. Looking forward to seeing the design work for this!

The premise sounds interesting. It has the potential to be either a fun new take or a Next Mutation level misstep. Hopefully the former.