View Single Post
Old 09-30-2017, 09:55 AM   #25
Tetsu Deinonychus
The Iron Dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
I've read a couple of Batman comics (Hush, Under the Red Hood, Long Halloween) and when Batman is in his own comic book, by himself, we don't see much that side of him.

He seems to be characterized this way when working with the Justice League, or other super-heroes.
I think they feel the need to establish that he can stand on the same level with beings like Superman/Green Lantern/etc. despite not having "actual" superpowers.

But, at this point it's been well established that he can and does stand toe-to-toe with them, and his array of gadgets, martial arts techniques, detective skills, and scientific know-how basically count as super-powers anyway. There's really no need to keep drilling into our heads that he's on the same level. We already know.

And, it's getting to where he's not just "as good" as powered heroes, he's "better". I have no problem with Batman being able to beat Superman, when the two have a fight (I prefer them getting along, though). But, I have a problem with Batman always beating Superman when they fight.

Anyway, I think the seed was planted back in Miller's "Dark Knight Returns", but Andrew's probably right that Morrison's JLA run cemented it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Kappa View Post
Batman's been overcompensating for decades, it's nothing new. If anything the Nolan movies tried to humanize the God King of Mary Sues.
I'd give the title "God King of Mary Sues" to Wolverine actually.
Tetsu Deinonychus is offline   Reply With Quote