Thread: The Shadow
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 04:14 PM   #10
Whatswiththeheadbands?
The Weed of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo656 View Post
I guess that's indeed a fair point. I just remember the ads they were running in all of the DC books in '87/'88 or so made it look pretty good, really dark and gritty; you might've seen 'em, the "Guy with a giant hypodermic needle" one, they ran it everywhere. And then I read about it on Wikipedia or something a few years ago and the actual content sounded absolutely dreadful. Talk about a bait-and-switch! Nonetheless, I ended up with a few issues thanks to various grab bags and such, but I've never brought myself to actually read them.

Didn't DC do Shadow books in the 70s that were a lot more faithful? I swear I've seen those somewhere.

I think I'd really dig a new live-action film in the vein of "Sin City" or something like that. The character definitely deserves it. But I'm pretty sure the abysmal failure of movies like "The Spirit", "Green Hornet", and "The Lone Ranger" has pretty much killed both noir comic book films as well as any of "Your Granddaddy's Radio/Comic Strip" features for the foreseeable future.

Because it's not that those adaptations were simply bad, goodness knows; it's that anything "Too Old" simply won't sell because Millenials can't fathom a world from before the Internet and cell phones.

I mean, I guess I understand. I definitely wouldn't want to see a modern reinterpretation - I think the property works best as a period piece set firmly within the time of its conception - but snark aside, nobody under 40 is gonna sit through that. Which really sucks. But I can already hear the kids sassing it; "So instead of armor... dude wears a scarf?" It is what it is, I guess.
Orson Welles, who Voiced the Shadow early on the Radio (and who directed a little known Movie by the name of Citizen Kane), tried to make a Shadow movie in the 40s, but couldn't get the rights.

I also think the Character deserves a modern movie. But the Shadow's really obscure to modern audiences, that it probably wouldn't make an impact anyway

Shame really

Last edited by Whatswiththeheadbands?; 05-20-2019 at 04:36 PM.
Whatswiththeheadbands? is offline   Reply With Quote