View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 05:56 PM   #1
Prowler
Emperor

How do you feel about the Angry Video Game Nerd?

You know, the character James Rolfe has been playing for over a decade now(holy crap, time flies!).

I found out AVGN's videos completely by accident one day on youtube back in mid-late 2006 or so while looking for TMNT related stuff. Saw that there was a video review of the TMNT NES game by him. Took me a few weeks to finally check it out. One day I just realised "well it has a shi*ton of views, so there's gotta be something interesting about it, so I eventually decided to check it out and... well I didn't like it much at first because I wasn't expecting him to suddenly start cussing like a sailor in it. I guess the name ANGRY Nintendo Nerd should have been enough of a hint for me, but hey come on now, that style of reviewing games didn't get popular until James Rolfe hit it big.

Anyway, I decided to check his channel some days later. Up until then, his latest episode was Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street. So he already had a dozen or so episodes. I watched all of his older episodes on one weekend and laughed my ass off to them. I was going through the height of my "being a teenager sucks!" phase, being 15-16 years old at the time so his videos helped me give a good uplift.

Then, some months later he joins GameTrailers. His videos start to look more professional and polished, and tbh it's hard ot go back to his older episodes nowadays. They give you too much of a "Nerd living in his parents basement" vibe... which is ironic considering he used ot film on his own room/living room back in his old place while nowadays his gaming room is actually IN the basement. I'd honestly never have guessed, though.

Favourite episodes... oh man. From the top of my head: Dick Tracy, Die Hard, Silver Surfer, Action 52 + Cheetahmen, Dark Castle, Ghostbusters Trilogy, Top Gun,, Coleco and Intelivision, Sega CD, Batman two parter and Superman 64 are all hilarious. They're probably my most watched episodes of his. I think his "prime" was from around episode 44 to episode 91. Pretty much every episode of his was gold in this bracket.

As for his movie... I didn't expect a masterpiece but wasn't a big fan. I'm happy he finally got his big screen film but didn't care about the supporting cast(giving him some random guy as his cameraman, really?).

I'm yet to play "his" official game. I gotta do that someday.

Anyway, I can't believe I've been watching his stuff for over a decade now. Never would I've thought that he'd still be doing this stint in 2017. I find his videos very informative and I really admire his passion for games and such. He seems like a genuinely nice fellow and wish him nothing but success. Although I wonder how long he's gonna keep on doing this. He's set the bar too high(or too low...) now. He's already reviewed the likes of ET, Big Rigs, Plumbers Don't Wear Ties, etc. Unless he starts venturing into obscure PS1 and PS2 games there really isn't much left for him to do now as far as reviewing older crappy games goes. He's already reviewed most of the popular requests afaik.

So, what do you think about him? Like him? Dislike him?

Last edited by Prowler; 03-25-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote