View Single Post
Old 08-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #46
MsMarvelDuckie
I Married a Duck!

Location: The bowels of Hell, Texas(otherwise known as Decatur)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CylonsKlingonsDaleksOhMy View Post
They'd run out for exactly one episode. And then be fine again. Never any lasting consequences; every episode hit the reset button and there was never any lasting consequences.

There are plenty of decent episodes in there (mostly regarding the new species, Hirogen, Species 8472, and the Borg), but all of the characters were just too familiar.

Oh, look, another Klingon in Starfleet who's conflicted over his/her parentage.
Oh, look, another freshfaced ensign.

And I hated Kes. Neelix... eh, maybe.

There were plenty of consequences. Seven and the Borg children proved instrumental in several encounters, they were so badly damaged during the "year of hell" arc that they nearly lost the ship, Q offered a quick fix- and Janeway rejected it- and the biggest issue was of course that in all of this, they had NO contact with Starfleet much less any help from home until the last couple of seasons when they finally managed to establish limited periodic contact. Each time they had problems, they had to solve it completely alone- no allies or cavalry to rely on. It actually had more continuity than even TNG.

Klingons in Starfleet being conflicted over parentage? Worf never was. Alexander maybe, but only because he was the only kid around who was one. Worf's biggest issue was his family's dishonor, which isn't the same thing as B'lanna being a half-breed. Ensign Kim was essentially a foil for Paris, the "straight" half of their mild comic relief. Young sure but I like him FAR better than Wesley. I thought Kes was an interesting character based on her relationships with Neelix and the Doctor, made more complicated by her species rate of aging.

"Where Science ends, magic begins." -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

My various stories and fan-fics are now here-

https://m.fanfiction.net/u/4770494/#end
MsMarvelDuckie is offline   Reply With Quote