View Single Post
Old 05-02-2017, 03:52 PM   #542
ProphetofGanja
Dub Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
I still don't get the TTG hate, that show is a riot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastroncafe View Post
1) Considering it uses the exact same main voice cast from the Cartoon, I'm going to say TTG is based on that, rather than the comic.

2) These are features for me, not bugs.

3) It's a comedy, the character designs are supposed to be laughable.

4) These are reasons people don't like the show, and they're all valid reasons for not liking a show. They are not, however, valid reasons to hate on a show.

Or...by extension, the people who happen to like the show.
Folks like me, who are older than dirt and happen to have a fondness for hyperactive meta-commentary. (see also: Batman: Brave and the Bold, Freakazoid, Animaniacs, Tiny Toon Adventures, etc.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
As far as I understand, it's mostly outrage that it isn't like the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon and annoyance with it's omnipresence, though there are legimate complaints about the cheapness or the stupitity of it's comedy.

Personally I don't mind the show because:
  1. It's clearly a parody and not a serious attempt at continuing or rebooting, it just uses the 2003 Teen Titans as a basis. (Even if it's a bit scary how it has lasted so much longer).
  2. When comparing it to the 2003 Teen Titans cartoon, it's not like that one was an especially faithful adaptation either. Wolfman and Perez weren't exactly making a gag manga, just saying. And I'm not so sure it has aged that well either.
  3. I don't watch shows on the TV anymore, so I have no reason to be bothered by bradcast schedules.
  4. The show is stupid, yes, but I'm fine with stupid humor as long as it's not predictable or dry.
  5. If nothing else, at least it's not like Avengers Assemble. Lifeless and drab.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
TTG is an adaptation that's different enough so I give it a pass. It's not trying to be the TT cartoon in the first place, so why even compare it?

Plus, the show is pretty funny.
All of this. I first caught the show while working with kids and it would come on during their TV time and it was funny enough meta-commentary for me to catch it outside of work occasionally.

It works because even when the characters are being serious the show itself is still silly and it knows that. The Nick TMNT show doesn't work for me because it's incredibly silly but also tries to take itself seriously. I'm eager to see what the new show will be like
ProphetofGanja is offline   Reply With Quote