View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 05:25 PM   #89
Mutagen
Random Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatoman View Post
So I've watched maybe 30 or so episodes of the 1987 cartoon.

It's... Really boring and it gets even more boring with each episode I watch.
Its the other way around for me. I love the animation style, with painted backgrounds, love the designs and the quirkiness of it. The show realy shows everything that was cool about the 80s, it has originality, uniqueness and its just whacky and bizarre. Its like Bizzarro's World, thats what I love about it. Like in Turtles Forever cartoon, the 03 turtles said this 80s world is weird and odd, and thats precisely why i love it. its designs, feel, everything is so crazy and downright surreal. The technodrome - Death Star with a big eye, krang - a brain in a stomach of a fat guy looking like the mutated guy from Goonies with 80s techno sunglasses, its all great, its all bizarre, I enjoy the insane surrealism of it all. And Shredder is the cream of the crop, i love his visual design and i love the fact that (intentionally) he does resemble Darth Vader and they also voiced him with a black actor.

its simply a lot of fun, even for an adult, and especially for art fans, such as myself, i love the art of older cartoons, especially the good old max fleisher cartoons, and tmnt resemble that a bit with the background work. Im a big fan of that animation style

the 03 series, ah, its just not my thing, its trying to be serious and just looks ridiculous by doing so, for me. Its insanely generic, it looks and feels like any other nick show, theres no whackiness, originality or anything fun or special about it at all, but im glad and ill give them credit for the fact that they tried to go their own way instead of just copying the original classics. Im giving them thumbs up for going their own way, which in itself is interesting because it creates an existence of two very different interpretations of the same mythology. I also dislike that generic, blocky, squarish manga-like style animation, its personally not my thing

Last edited by Mutagen; 08-08-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Mutagen is offline   Reply With Quote