View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #57
Prowler
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumac View Post
He is amazing. He has real passion for what he does and he is real fan of 80-s stuff. And while his new stuff maybe not as funny as his old videos, he is still fairly decent.
Though I must say I like when he tells stories about consoles and stuff, even more than when he is in his AVGN persona.
Yeah, I just enjoy hearing him talk about his favourite stuff and the history of cinema and video games. It's funny because, back in 2006-2008 me and many fans found the real James boring and only wanted to see him as the Nerd. It was strange seeing him act out of character. But in the last 4-5 years or so, his character toned down and you don't really feel like he's acting anymore. Or it seems like he forgets in the middle of the episode that he's supposed to be the Nerd and not James and then goes back to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew NDB View Post
I haven't watched him in a while but he's great. Way better than the FAKE hacks that followed in his foosteps like Nostalgia Critic.
I thought Nostalgia Critic pre-dated him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp View Post
He basically helped create modern youtube and I feel he doesn't get the credit he deserves even if he's very well known. Now you have adults who say "I remember watching the AVGN when I was a little kid, I was like 18 when the TMNT video on youtube became viral lol
I've talked to 19-20 year olds who told me "AVGN was my childhood"... which is kinda crazy, when you think about it. Someone who was 19 in 2016 was watching AVGN when they were 9-10 years old. I don't think I'd have enjoyed AVGN much if I was that young at the time. I was 15-16 years old and going through a retrogaming phase, so it's like I was introduced to AVGN(at the time, Angry Nintendo Nerd still) at the right place at the right time.

I remember how in the previous decade AVGN's fanbase would get criticised often for being full of young kids. Most AVGN fans at the time seemed to be people around his ageat the time(mid-late 20s) or 12 year olds. I guess that's why a lot of people under 25 nowadays say he was a big part of their childhood. He probably indirectly got a lot of people into retrogaming and directing.

It's baffling how Cinemassacre only has about 2.7M subscribers. He's very well known and his videos get a lot of comments, yet he only gets less than 3M subs? I guess because he mostly focuses on older games unlike pewdiepie and others who focus on current games. Also, for some years, James new AVGN content was coming out on GameTrailers and he could only upload them onto youtubue a year or two afterwards. And keep in mind this was in 2007-2010 already. There was no James & Mike Mondays nor Board James or any other extra content besides your very occasional movie review or something by James. His channel was named AngryNintendoNerd for ages until it got renamed to Cinemassacre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
Yeah, wasn't he the first guy doing videogame videos who wasn't affiliated with any major gaming site? He was like the prehistoric version of what became a youtuber.
In 2006 he was like the hottest up and coming youtuber. The most popular ones were probably Smosh with their parodies of video game and cartoon theme songs. And one of the most popular videos was evolution of dance.

No one went on YT in 2006-2007 to watch the news or to know what the latest controversial event was. YT was a place to watch older cartoons, anime, video game TAS emulator plays, AVGN, and videos people uploaded of their nephews playing Beethoven. Pre-google/viacom buyout YT was a great place. Honestly, it was more fun back in the day. No clickbait videos or people making money off videos where they talk about their boring lives. Back then, if someone made a video where they showed their faces, they'd get to the point. Plus, videos had a 10 minute limit. Only people with director accounts could upload videos that were longer than 10 mins.

James started the "angry reviewer" trend. I remember a lot of them popping out at the time due to AVGN's influence, most notorious ones being the Irate Gamer and SpoonyOne.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote